Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Find A Woodturner

One of the most important ways to learn woodturning is to talk to another woodturner. I started doing this by hanging out at the local Rockler and Woodcraft stores around the woodturning equipment and supplies. For instance, I learned about the Spindlemaster lathe tool from someone who was shopping for pen making supplies. His insight provided me a tool that I have found indispensable.

Another way is to talk to the sales people that are woodturners. My best learnings have come from meeting Nick Schirz at the local Woodcraft store in Cincinnati. I actually go Thursday nights after work to talk with Nick when I have a specific how-to question and usually he has an answer or suggestion. I learned the importance of sharpening and turning technique from him. I also took a bowl turning class taught by him that was excellent.

You should also consider joining a local woodturning club. The American Association of Woodturners keeps a list of local clubs for each state. I will be attending my first meeting of the local chapter (Ohio Valley Woodturner's Guild) on November 17. I will post my experience after this meeting.

Another source is a good magazine. There are several out there which I found at my local BAM (Books-a-Million). The one I chose was Woodturning Design. This appears to be a good magazine with clear techniques and examples. The other is American Woodturner which is published by the AAW - American Association of Woodturners. I found this magazine more for the more advanced woodturner. Both are quarterly publications.

One last point, you should consider going to the woodworking shows that come to all the major cities during the year. I learned a lot about penturning at the Indianapolis show this past winter. And I picked up some good tool and supply tips!

No comments: