Monday, October 29, 2007

My Library and A Video Clip

I have looked at many woodturning books from the library, local book stores, woodworking stores and the internet. I now own 6 books and one tutorial magazine. These are the four that I have found most helpful in my sojourn into woodturning.

My Library
  1. "The Pen Turner's Workbook" by Barry Gross, 2nd Edition, 2006 - This was my first woodturning book. Barry does an excellent job of providing the pen turning basics. And he provides an excellent gallary of pens that you can try.
  2. "Learn to Turn" by Barry Gross, 2005 - This is a beginners guide to woodturning from start to finish. He does an excellent job of explaining what is needed and how to do it. He has an excellent tutorial on sharpening your lathe tools. Importantly, he provides the angle the various tools should be sharpened at.
  3. "Turning Wood with Richard Raffan" by Richard Raffan, 2001 - Richard is the master woodturner. He provides a clear, concise description of what is required and lots of pictures on how it is done. This is for a more advanced understanding of woodturning. I like this book so well I plan to purchase "Turning" by him in the near future.
  4. "Woodturning Basics" by Fine Woodworking - This was the summer issue of The Best of Fine Woodworking. It has an excellent article about William H. Macy, the actor, and his love for the hobby. Plus, it has individual woodturning basics presented by the masters like Richard Raffan, Ernie Conover, and Howard Lewin.

I recently picked up a book on turning green wood. I have not read it yet and will share what I think in the future.


An Excellent Video Clip

I also have come across an excellent video clip on sharpening. The video is "Tool Design and Grinding with Mike Mahoney" by Mike Mahoney. It is very concise and clear in showing you how to sharpen the common lathe tools. It is about 10 minutes long and can be found on YouTube.


You are welcome to share your personal Library and Video Clip favorites. I have a great thirst for picking up first rate training material and value others opinions.

No comments: